Hi Blog world,
I came across this tag and I wanted to join in on this discussion. Here are five tips that may be helpful if your child has a visual impairment.
- Stay positive: This one may be a given, however I found out over the past few years that staying positive makes things a lot more easier.
- Teach self Advocacy skills early: My mother started to teach me self-advocacy skills when I was quite young, now as an adult I’m not scared to say what can help me see.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up for your child: My mother had to do this several times during my educational years and because she did I was able to get the help I needed.
- Learn about your child’s condition: This will help you understand your child and their needs early. Better yet, joining a support group can help answer questions and help you feel less alone.
- Lastly, don’t focus on the disability: In other words, don’t just focus on their handicap. Just like everyone else they have strengths and weakness Let them find out for themselves what those are.
I hope you have enjoyed this post,